Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

Garbage Disposal

I installed one last night at my house but was very wary before beginning the small project after reading Lawton's blog about his numerous trips to Lowe's. As best I can assume, Lawton's garbage disposal needed to be installed on the same side of his sink where the p-trap and drain line is located and thus required a little more re-work of the existing plumbing. This would be the only logical explanation as to why he needed so many trips. I was lucky in my installation. I need only a 12" piece of pipe with a flange on one end. After I removed the old drain and drain line and installed the disposal I needed only to shave about a 1/4" off the end of the pipe to retro-fit it to the existing drain line on the other side of the sink. The only difficult part was squeezing my fat ass under the sink and wiring the damn thing. I already had a switch and an insulated two-wire connection under the sink, but there was not enough wire to make a connection to the disposal. Already knowing this would be an issue, I permanently borrowed some shielded four-wire cable from a job-site yesterday afternoon and just put electrical tape over the tips of the wire that I did not need. A few wire nuts and much more electrical tape later, I had a finely nigger rigged electrial connection that appears only to have a flaw due to the excessive amount of wire under my sink. It's my sink, my disposal, and I don't really give a shit if it wouldn't pass an electrical inspection, the important thing is that it will pass small chicken bones and leftover food. Next up, a dishwasher.

Comments:
Quality Post. I like it. Now, about that air quality tester thing. Can you get it up here for the weekend with the soon to occur mayhem?
 
If you can spill water on the connections without them shorting out, I think you're in good shape.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?